Above is our final animation. You can now view it online Live at BBC Radio 4 at this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03vhn5x.
This was one of my first animation live briefs, because of this I was able to get some very valuable experience. For instance interacting with client feedback, pitching to clients and collaborating. I am overall really happy with our animation, there are things I would have improved if I had more time. I would have liked to spend time polishing off some of my shots adding more in betweens and spending more time adding more lighting. However we had a really short deadline andI am really happy with the end piece.
When we was first given this brief I considered working on my own however me and Alice felt as we are lucky to live together we could create something with each other. We started the process by looking through the scripts. As each script was 15 minutes long and there was around 7 it took us two hours to read it once. However we slowly narrowed down our inspiration of the wind witches. This folklore really spoke to us and we felt we could portray some beautiful illustrations. We both wanted to do frame by frame animation, for this we had to search for plug ins and also brushes. We brought some brushes online and found a very amazing plug in for Photoshop. One of the good things I felt about this project was the fact we had to get all the preproduction development out of the way quite early. As a lover for the this stage of production it was good to give my self a time limit so we could work on the creation of the piece.
Pitching and Feedback from Clients – Because we were working on a live brief we were giving the opportunity to pitch in front of the clients twice as well as getting feedback. I was nervous to pitch but when we were actually doing it I felt confident. We were able to practice the pitch and that made me feel better. The feedback we got was to sort out the ending music so it dosen’t stop so suddenly, luckily we realised our music was meant to last longer so it was a quick change. I realised they weren’t as scary as I thought.
Collaboration – This unit is dedicated to collaboration. I have been able to collaborate with Alice, James the “music man” and 2 sound students. Overall working with Alice has been really good it is the first time either of us worked together on an animation together. We really worked together well, feeding ideas of each other and sharing an equal amount of work. We were honest with things we wanted to change or improve as well as praising to each other. We hung lots of schedules to our wall and used pintrest to create visual inspiration. It was the first time I had ever worked with music or sound. We were lucky enough to be approached by two sound students who said they would both like to work on the animation. Further to the point they said whoever didn’t get chosen would still work on the sound so they could put it on there showreel. This meant me and Alice would have to send feedback to two separate sound students. In a way it was really good experience because we had to takes on our piece, but we had to right what we wanted to change and why. One of the sound students put us in contact with a music student at Ravensbourne. We set up a meeting with the music student and was able to discuss ideas. Me and Alice made the decision to send out info packs with visual inspiration, deadlines, moodboard and suggestions.
Above are some stills from the shots I worked on 🙂
Above are some screen shots from people retweeting our work. Again it was an amazing feeling to see people retweeting our animation! A lot of people interested in paganisim and folklore have been sharing our work which has been really fantastic to see!